Click to View 1 Photos
03 November 2014
PRINCE HARRY TO PLAY IN THE 5th SENTEBALE POLO CUP IN ABU DHABI.
Sentebale Polo Cup presented by Royal Salute World Polo is set to take place at Ghantoot Racing & Polo Club in UAE on Thursday 20th November.
The Sentebale Polo Cup was Prince Harry’s brainchild back in 2010. Now in its fifth year, this annual event raises money and awareness of Sentebale’s work in providing healthcare and education to vulnerable children in Lesotho in southern Africa, many whom are victims of extreme poverty and Lesotho’s HIV/AIDs epidemic.
Last year’s Sentebale Polo Cup took place in Greenwich, Connecticut where Sentebale’s co-founder, Prince Harry had a victorious win against Sentebale Ambassador and St. Regis Connoisseur, Nacho Figueras, captain of the St. Regis team.
The battle will commence again in this year’s, Sentebale Polo Cup as Prince Harry will play for the Sentebale Huntsman team against Figueras’ St. Regis team. Guests will be treated to an early evening reception followed by the main game. The winning team will be presented with the Sentebale Polo Cup trophy by jeweller and silversmith Garrard & Damas and a salver given to the Most Valuable Player; guests will then be seated for speeches at the Rolex Dinner. Other sponsors of the day include Jaguar Land Rover, Sentebale’s longest standing sponsor for the polo cup and the national airline for Abu Dhabi, Etihad.
Cathy Ferrier, Chief Executive of Sentebale says; “Sentebale is delighted to be hosting our Sentebale Polo Cup in Abu Dhabi this year. This event is extremely important to the charity, and allows us to continue to help and support some of the most vulnerable children in the world, through our work in Lesotho. We are very grateful for the generous support of all our sponsors who make this event possible.”
The money and awareness raised from the Sentebale Polo Cup will support Sentebale’s expansion plans in providing leading emotional and psychological support to many more children affected by HIV/AIDS, reducing the stigma linked to the disease, inspiring confidence and most importantly making a marked improvement in these young people’s quality of life.
Sentebale is currently building the Mamohato Children’s Centre in Lesotho, a purpose-‐built residential centre, due to be complete next year. The centre will enable Sentebale to provide support to many more vulnerable children affected by HIV/AIDS in Lesotho and will serve as the platform for expansion into other affected southern African countries.
To follow the event, please use #SPC2014.
The event is by invitation only.
For further information please contact:
Alice Lycett Green
Marketing & Communications Manager, Sentebale
Tel : +44 (0)20 7730 0226/ +44 (0) 7823 778654
Notes to editors:
- HIV is the second cause of death amongst adolescents aged 10 – 19 globally and is the number one cause of death in Africa. This is a generation that urgently needs help, for their future and the future prosperity of Africa. In Lesotho, one in three children are orphans and there are believed to be over 40,000 adolescents living with HIV.
- Sentebale, co-founded by Prince Harry and Prince Seeiso in 2006, provides healthcare and education to vulnerable children affected by HIV/AIDS and extreme poverty in Lesotho, southern Africa.
- Sentebale’s flagship programme is the Mamohato Programme, which was developed in response to a serious gap in HIV/AIDS education provision for young people in Lesotho. A study by Sentebale showed that HIV-positive children were isolated and received little support in their homes and communities in relation to the social and psychological challenges they faced; stigma deemed to be the greatest hurdle for these children. The programme offers a residential weeklong camp and follow up monthly clubs that empowers these children to address the stigma and health issues surrounding them enabling them to live a healthy and fulfilled lives.
- In 2010, the Mamohato programme was highlighted as a model of international best practice by the United Nations. The programme was quoted as being “effective, having ethical soundness, cost effective, relevant, innovative and sustainable.”
- Sentebale’s strategy is to provide support to these children and young people, and reach many more children over the coming years. The Mamohato Children’s centre, due to be complete next year, is the embodiment of that scale up in Lesotho and the platform for expansion into other affected southern African countries. [Fundraising campaign video used in 2013 http://vimeo.com/72961313]
- Sentebale, means ‘forget me not’ in Sesotho, was set up in memory of the princes’ mothers and as a reminder not to forget the children of Lesotho.
- Lesotho’s main operations are based in Lesotho with the fundraising and management team based in London, headed up by Chief Executive, Cathy Ferrier. Both Princes remain active patrons of Sentebale.
Ghantoot Polo & Racing Club– Venue sponsor - http://www.grpc.ae
Royal Salute World Polo– Presenting sponsor - www.royalsalute.com
Huntsman– Sentebale team sponsor - http://www.h-huntsman.com
St. Regis– Opposition team sponsor - www.stregis.com
Rolex- Dinner sponsor - http://www.rolex.com
Garrard & Damas- Jewellery sponsor - http://international.damasjewellery.com
Jaguar Land Rover- Car sponsor - http://www.jaguarlandrover.com/gl/en/
Etihad- Airline sponsor - http://www.etihad.com/en-gb/